Best Prostate Supplement
If you're a male looking to better your health, the supplement industry is something you should not ignore, especially as you get older. Out of the range of supplements on the market, one you should consider taking is prostate. But, before we explore prostate supplements, let's look into the prostate a bit further.
What is prostate?
The prostate gland is a gland on the male body that has a similar size to a walnut and is situated between the penis and bladder and in front of the rectum. Cutting through the center of the prostate is the urethra that runs through the bladder and penis to let out urine from the male body.
The prostate gland is a unique body part as it helps make fluid that provides nourishment and helps protect a man's sperm. When ejaculation occurs, the prostate squeezes the fluid into the urethra and then leaves the penis as semen. As men age, this gland can get bigger, and the size can grow from a walnut to a lemon. It can become a little dangerous as it grows in size. The prostrate can end up squeezing the urethra making the process of peeing difficult. This can cause a bladder not to be appropriately emptied after a bathroom visit, causing stopping and starting and straining when going to the bathroom.
How do prostate supplements work?
Prostate supplements are healthy herb or plant-based supplements formulated to slow down the growth of the prostate gland. In addition to this, they're also made to better a man's urine stream, making it easier and less painful to empty their bladder.
Conditions that can be treated
Prostate supplements can help men achieve the following:
- Reduce the chances of erectile dysfunction
- Painful urination
- Pain in the lower back, pelvis, and hips
- Reduce the frequent urge to urinate
- Stop men waking up in the night to urinate
- Painful ejaculation
These are just a few conditions that prostate supplements can help. To know about the best prostate supplements on the market, check out our top 10 list here.
Types of prostate supplement
Prostate supplements are commonly found in 4 forms which are:
- Beta-sitosterol: This prostate supplement can be discovered in several plants, nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables. It does not directly contribute to changing the size of the prostate, but it does help empty your bladder at an easier rate and provide a more substantial flow of urine. Alongside this, it's commonly used to lower cholesterol levels and fight off some cancers. In its original form, it's a white wax-like powder that has similar properties to cholesterol. Beta-sitosterol is commonly found in tablet or capsule form.
- Pygeuym: Pygeuym is an African cherry tree, and the bark is found in prostate supplements. There is a lot of research surrounding Pygeuym, and it's a highly sought-after ingredient. It's a common supplement used to treat enlarged prostate, inflammation, kidney disease, and urinary problems. This supplement is often taken orally and can be found in powder, tablet, or capsule form.
- Rye pollen extract: Rye pollen extract is a supplement that comes from ryegrass and helps with many symptoms. It is known to help with painful urination, a weak stream of urine, peeing during the day, dribbling once you've finished peeing, and more. Some pending research shows that it may help shrink your prostate and empty your bladder at a better rate. Rye pollen extract can come in capsule or tablet form.
- Saw Palmetto: This is an extract from a fruit that grows on a tree in North America. It's available in capsule, tablet, and soft gel form. You can also find it in dry, ground, or liquid extract. Saw Palmetto is believed to help reduce the size of the prostate and help urinary symptoms.
- Stinging nettle: A form of herb contributes to better urine flow and reduces your urge to wake up in the night and pee. It's also used alongside other supplements to help lower the prostate.
Still awaiting further research. Alongside this, some supplements have been reported to be useful by some users but are still pending further research to validate their claims. Such supplements said to help are:
- Aqueous garlic
- Milk thistle
- Red clover
- Flaxseed ligant extract
Best Food Sources
To keep on top of your prostate health, it's always good to get frequent prostate screenings cancer screenings to review the health of your prostate. Alongside this, you can eat the following foods to better your prostate health.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in an antioxidant known as lycopene. There is a lot of upcoming research which indicates that a diet with a high amount of lycopene may reduce the likelihood of prostate cancer occurring. It's believed that lycopene can inhibit cell damage and cancer cell production. Do note it can be difficult to reap the benefits of lycopene by eating raw tomatoes; instead, you will want to eat cooked or pureed tomato products like tomato juice, sun-dried tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and tomato paste.
- Bell peppers: Some research suggests that bell peppers might help play a role in lowering your prostate size. Bell peppers contain vitamin C and have a large amount in them! If you consume one raw cup of bell peppers, you will get 200% of your daily vitamin C amount.
- Avocados: Avocados are high in beta-sitosterol, a plant extract that can help reduce the size of the prostate. Similarly, due to the high beta-sitosterol content, the urinary flow might be eased up, and men might need to go to the toilet less frequently. There are other foods high in beta-sitosterol: pecans, soybeans, wheat germ, and pumpkin seeds.
- Legumes and soybeans: If you're not familiar with legumes, it's a food group containing lentils, peanuts, and beans. Inside legumes are a biologically active compound called phytoestrogens. There has been research surrounding one type of phytoestrogen is known as isoflavone, which has shown cancer-fighting effects for the prostate gland. However, there is still a lot of research pending on this matter.
The top prostate supplements can potentially help the following:
Acute and chronic prostatitis
In acute prostatitis, the prostate becomes inflamed and is caused when bacteria enter the prostate from the kidney or urinary tract. Acute prostatitis can last for a short while but can ease up with prostate supplements. Chronic prostatitis is similar to acute prostatitis but can also occur for unknown reasons; symptoms can last up to 3 months but can be made more tolerable from prostate supplements.
Benign prostate hyperplasia
This is a condition that causes a man's prostate gland to become larger as they age. It's a normal condition to have and one which is hard to avoid. It's unknown why it may occur, but it's widely believed that it may be due to a change in sex hormones. Symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia can cause pain in the urinary tract, difficulty urinating, frequent urination, and more. Prostate supplements are known to help ease these symptoms.
This is a form of cancer that metastasizes in the prostate and is the fourth biggest cause of death in men worldwide. Prostate supplements can help reduce the risk of prostate cancer by alleviating some of the symptoms.
If you take prostate supplements, you may experience the following side effects:
- Sexual problems
You should contact your physician immediately if you have any of the following side effects mentioned below:
- Easy bruising and bleeding
- Pancreas problems
- Liver problems
These are just a few side effects that you should be aware of. If you feel that something is not right taking them and you don't have any side effects mentioned above, still consult the advice of a medical professional.
Precautions and warnings
Some prostate supplements are hormonally based and should not be taken by pregnant women. Similarly, they can make certain types of birth control less effective. Alongside this, don't take prostate supplements if you have a pancreas disorder, liver disease, or blood clotting disorder.
How long should I take it?
Prostate supplements should be taken in line with the advice from your local doctor. There are many different types out there, and all benefit people in different ways. Therefore, before taking anyone, speak to your doctor first.
Interaction with other medications
It would help if you were wary of taking prostate supplements with other herbal supplements designed to affect blood clotting. Such supplements can interact with vitamin E, turmeric, ginger, ginkgo, garlic, capsicum, angelica, and more.
Prostate supplements come in 4 main types and are available in powder, capsule, tablet, and soft gel. They have shown to help with slowing down the size of prostate growth and better urinary flow. However, their effects can vary on the person, and there's a lot of scientific research still pending. Before you take any prostate supplements, you should always speak to a doctor for advice first.
What is the best natural supplement for enlarged prostate?
There is no best natural supplement for enlarged prostate; a few have been shown to help reduce the size but will not for definite. The supplements that have been beneficial for this are Beta-sitosterol, Pygeum, Ryegrass, and Saw palmetto.
What is the best over the counter prostate supplement?
One of the best over the counter prostate supplements is life extension palmetto guard. It produces prostate supplements in a GMP facility and contains five active ingredients. The ingredients you can find in this are saw palmetto, nettle root extract, beta-sitosterol, boron, and rosemary.
What is the best supplement to shrink the prostate?
There is no best supplement to shrink the prostate; a few have shown to contribute to prostate reduction, but that's not definite. These supplements are Beta-sitosterol, Pygeum, Ryegrass, and Saw palmetto.
Tags: good supplements, supplements for muscle growth, creatine supplements for bodybuilding, supplements for good skin, best multivitamin for men bodybuilding, iron supplements for pregnancy, do b12 supplements work, calcium supplements for women, multivitamin with iron for women, dietary fiber supplement