A Comprehensive Guide to Buying Supplements
Do you feel overwhelmed thinking about the broad range of supplements available that promise longevity and remedy? Are you confused if you choose should choose the bottle with a fancy label or go for the one that has better reviews? Fortunately, we have taken the guess-work out of buying the best supplements.
Even though you might often hear that if you eat well and lead a healthy lifestyle, you might not need to take supplements. In the ideal world, you might not need to supplement, but this is not a perfect world. Today, most people are leading a stressful life, exposed to toxins and not getting all the nutrients that their body requires to function. Supplements have become an important health-booster that can help you to fulfill all the nutritional gaps and boost your overall health and well-being. Keep reading to know everything about supplements and how to start taking them.
Why Do You Need Supplements?
The benefits of enhancing your dietary intake of minerals and vitamins through supplementation are enormous. When it comes to ensuring that you are covering all bases, quality supplements can be your regular backup for optimal health.
We know that nothing will replace a diet that is rich in minerals, vitamins, and natural, wholesome foods. But, modern life can be busy and the stress levels might be at an all-time high. You might not even find the time to get and prepare different types of nourishing dishes. As a result, your nutrition and health take a back seat. Also, the food that you consume today is not the same as it used to be. The levels of nutrients have decreased drastically and the toxicity levels are high due to the large-scale farming practices of the modern era.
Through supplements, you can ensure that your body is getting the nutrition that it needs to properly function.
Things to Look for When Deciding on a Supplement Program
Since everybody is different, their needs vary. What your body needs to reach ultimate daily health might be completely different from someone else. However, there are certain things to keep in mind when choosing which supplements everyone should take. As a general guide, ensure to tick the following factors.
- Natural ingredients – When selecting your daily supplements, do your best to find options that are derived from natural food. Wherever possible, opt for organic and make sure to select a reputable brand. If you’re not sure where to start, you can go through our list of the top supplements.
- What are you looking to treat – If you are looking for supplements to treat a specific condition, it might be necessary to opt for specific types of supplements. For instance, if you are looking to lose weight, you need to look for fat-burning supplements or supplements that help to curb the appetite. For healthy hair or skin, you have to look for vitamins and supplements that support hair growth and improve skin health.
- Your requirements – If you are vegan or vegetarian, you have to check for supplements that are made from plant-based sources. Make sure to check the label because some of the supplements are animal-based. Even the capsules used might be animal-based. Also, some vitamins are of higher strength than others. You might assume that a higher dose will do the trick, but how much supplement you should take depends on your required levels. You must not overdose.
- Drug nutrient interactions – Herbal supplements or the ones containing high doses of nutrients might have different drug-nutrient interactions with certain medicines. If you are undergoing treatment, it would be best to consult your doctor before taking supplements.
- The ingredients – The list of ingredients is important and you should not overlook it. This list holds information as to whether this product is right for you. This will help you determine if the supplement is synthetic or natural, plant-based or animal-based, what form of mineral or vitamin you are getting, and so on.
What are the Best Supplements for Men?
The bodies of men and women have different needs. There are some nutrients that men need more than women, such as protein. As most men want to gain muscle, lose weight, or improve strength, they require more protein than women. If you are tired of gnawing through pounds of protein or eating nine servings of veggies and fruits regularly, you can consider supplements. Here, take a look at the best supplements for men.
- Protein powder – Protein is important for the body and men generally don’t consume enough of it. Roughly, 0.8 grams of protein is required by an average male adult for every kilogram of his body weight. If you work out and go to the gym regularly, you will need even more protein to help your muscles grow and heal. We have listed the best protein supplements for men.
- Creatine – This is a must-have nutrition supplement for men. Creatine is naturally stored by the body and it is responsible for providing your muscles and cells with the required energy. So, if you have been feeling very tired due to overexertion, you might want to consider taking creatine supplements.
- Fish oil – Fatty acids, especially omega-3 are needed by your body to lower blood pressure and reduce the chances of sudden cardiac arrest.
- Multivitamins – Vitamins are hugely important for your body as they protect against deficiency diseases. They play a crucial role in functions like digestion, metabolism, and more. Even if you maintain a healthy diet, your body might be low on vitamins and you can make up by taking supplements.
- BCAAs – Amino acids are essential for the body as they are the building blocks of protein. Your body cannot make essential amino acids and if you are into fitness or sports, you should opt for BCAA supplements.
If you are still unsure, you can take a look at our best supplement for men reviews and also go through the top 10 list.
Best Weight Loss Supplements to Boost Your Weight Loss Journey
The best weight loss supplements for men and women contain active ingredients that intend to decrease appetite, enhance fat burning or decrease the absorption of fat. All weight loss supplements and pills are not created equal. There are a few weight loss pills that might cause side effects, and therefore, you need to consult your doctor before taking weight loss supplements. Here, take a look at the most important weight loss supplements that you can consider taking:
- Hydroxycut - Hydroxycut products generally contain caffeine and plant extracts. Caffeine-free versions of the supplement are also available.
- Caffeine – Caffeine is often added to weight loss supplements and pills because it helps in reducing weight circumference, fat mass, and overall weight.
- Glucomannan – This is a fiber supplement that works by absorbing water in the gut. It makes people feel full so that they consume less food.
- Garcinia cambogia extracts – This fruit contains hydroxy citric acid and this helps in losing weight.
- Pyruvate – Pyruvate supplements help in breaking down fat and stimulating metabolism, which results in weight loss.
- Green tea extract – Green tea can enhance the ability of the body to burn fat, especially in the stomach area. This is why many weight loss supplements contain green tea extract.
- Conjugated linoleic acid – This is a type of fatty acid that is usually found in dairy and beef. It helps to decrease appetite and increase metabolism.
For more information on weight loss supplements, make your way to our reviews.
Health Supplements for Improving Overall Well-being
Health supplements include herbs, vitamins, fish oil, and minerals like calcium, and so on. Even though food is the best way to give your body the minerals and vitamins that it requires to function smoothly, it is not always possible to eat enough whole grains, fruits, veggies, eggs, and meat. Also, a lot of people lose out on getting enough vitamin D because they are not exposed to the sun as much as they should. The best way to boost your well-being is by adding health and dietary supplements to your daily routine. These supplements will help to provide your body with all the necessary nutrients. To see the best results, make sure that you take them consistently. Also, follow the dosage instructions.
In case you are pregnant, eating a restricted diet or a man/woman older than 40, your dietary and nutritional requirements are going to be different than the average men and women. You should talk to your healthcare provider before taking supplements.
The Best Workout Supplements
We are not saying that supplements will replace nutrition, but they can help you achieve your fitness goals faster. The best workout supplements can help to complement your diet and bridge the nutrient gaps so that your body gets what it needs to reach peak performance. Irrespective of your training goals, supplements can help to improve performance, health, and even physique. Some of the workout supplements that you need to help your body heal and repair faster after rigorous workouts include multivitamins, protein (egg protein, plant protein, whey protein, soy protein, and casein protein), BCAA, fish oil, glutamine, and creatine.
To know which workout supplement is right for you, peruse our list of the best workout supplements, along with reviews.
What are the Best Supplements for Women?
Women have certain specific nutrient requirements that change throughout the lifespan. For instance, the nutrient needs of teenagers are different from post-menopausal women, and breastfeeding or pregnant women need greater amounts of nutrients than women who are not pregnant. The most essential supplements that women can take to improve their health and well-being are:
- Calcium – A little more than 1% of the body weight of a woman is calcium and this is why it is crucial to take calcium supplements if the levels are low in your body. Calcium helps in building bones and maintaining their strength.
- Fish oil – Deficiency of fish oil in the body leads to depression, moodiness, and tender joints. Take supplements to combat the deficiency.
- Folate – Folate helps in making new tissues and cells, such as hair and skin. All women need it to look young, but pregnant women need it more to prevent neural tube abnormalities in the fetus.
Other supplements that women need include vitamins, lutein, collagen, biotin, magnesium, iron, zinc, and so on. Look at our review to know the best supplements for women.
Know about the Best Hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamins
Who doesn’t want to have strong nails, healthy hair, and glowing skin? But, poor diet and lifestyle, stress, and pollution make it difficult to have good hair, nails, and skin. You can give your skin, hair, and nails the nutrition that they need to become healthy by opting for supplements. Some of the best supplements for hair, skin, and nails include:
- Collagen – Collagen gives elasticity to the skin and prevents the skin from drying out and losing its moisture. Collagen supplements can help you to look younger as they will reduce fine lines and wrinkles. They also promote healthy hair as the body makes use of amino acids to strengthen hair. Collagen even increases nail strength and prevents brittleness.
- Biotin – This is an important co-enzyme that helps in breaking down protein and also building it up again. Biotin supplements will allow your body to form structures like nails, skin, and hair. If your body doesn’t get enough biotin, protein cannot be built to replace brittle nails, weak hair, and flaky skin.
Zinc, vitamins C and E, and silica are other supplements for hair, nails, and skin. If you want to choose the best hair, skin, and nails vitamins and supplements, our review lists out the top brands.
So, what are you still waiting for? Make yourself healthier and give your body all the nutrients it requires to function properly with the help of supplements. Dietary and health supplements can be used to achieve workout goals, weight loss goals, better skin, nails, and hair, or to improve your overall health. Our reviews should help you in making your decision.